Saturday

lying poorly in bed gives you loads of time to plan stuff...

I've wanted a decent sized kitchen blackboard for ages. I've scoured the stores and the internet, but they are all rather boring or too small. So, whilst giving in to a virulent little episode, I plotted and pontificated and designed the first 'kitchen blackboard window'.

Materials:


An old picture frame, painted and sanded. Blackboard paint. Old wallpaper.

Method:


Paint a blackboard on the wall, just slightly larger than the inside of the frame.

Tear old wallpaper into decent sized chunks and paste around the board. I used two different patterns as I wanted to give the impression of layered, peeling paper.

Stick the frame onto the wall.

Ta Da! One kitchen blackboard window.


(N.B. Be sure you really like the place you've chosen to create your window before using 'Hard as Nails' to fix your frame. I've just been reliably informed that if I ever decide to move my window I'd better start practising my plastering technique; it's likely to take a large chunk of the wall with it....Whoops!)

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jus
    I'm glad you're feeling better and up and about!
    Brilliant idea to paint the wall then put the frame on it - inspired!! It looks amazing too, with the peeling paper. Have you got some nice chalks to write with?
    Have a great weekend
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jus,

    itsn't it strange the things you think of when your not feeling well - glad your feeling better,

    Have a lovely weekend,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! but I don't think you'll ever want to move it, it's great where it is. The torn paper is a great idea. Won't be long before you start doodling.
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective Jus and such a fantastic idea. We don't have any wall space really in our kitchen which is a real nuisance as I could definitely do with something like this.

    Glad to hear you are up and about again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been in our post office haven't you? Her smile (if you can call it that) is a bit unnerving. Glad you enjoyed it. When we hit on the name for the Constable I laughed so much I cried. So it was good therapy too as it was fun. Oh now I've let the cat out of the bag completely. Mr Bun drew them not me. Handy if the art forgery squad ever come knocking.

    Now to you. Great idea and I love the stick it on the wall and be damned approach. Love the paper too.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! I did one very similar. I blogged about it at the time but can't find it now. I found mine when I did a bit of "breaking and entering" a derelict cottage in Ireland. I "found" a frame and made a chalkboard from it. VERY similar to yours....great minds do think alike"...love Pam Ireland

    ReplyDelete