Wednesday

era envy...


What was it about the early 60's....
The clothes, the music, the entire kitandcaboodle in fact.
So, what brought on this urge to be a beatnik?

A greedy, stolen afternoon in a gorgeous old cinema where a book club buddy and I gobbled vanilla choctops with nuts and devoured the film 'An Education'.

Lynn Barber's memoirs with a screenplay by Nick Hornby, the writing is tight and amusing. It's beautifully cast, I loved Emma Thompson as the headmistress but the the real star is London; what a city!
It made me a little homesick, but oddly for a time and place I've never known. My London was all about the 90's, and I very rarely get the urge to revisit that period or, in fact, to go back now.

Rose tinted glasses? Absolutely, but apart from Prada sunnies, aren't they the best kind?

3 comments:

  1. umm I was a sixties baby ... but it would have been nice to have been there & done it a bit older - hey man !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now one of my pals was recommending this film too - I may have to go see!
    Early 1960's? Yes, I totally agree: great clothes, great music, all so very stylish .... if only, if only...
    By the way I love that petticoat/nightdress thingy in the photo!!
    London? Hmmmm .... I was a student there in the 1980's and it had lots of pluses as a student. But so glad I left when I finished studying - give me a little market town, any day!
    Happy Advent to You!
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a top tip. I had vaguely heard about this amongst the whirl of nappies and fishfingers. This is to be a lovely DVD treat evening when it comes out I think. Thanks for reminding me there's a world of cinema out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete